Survival Ready Blog Team
“This knife will do everything a survival knife should do and more.”
This Recon Scout Knife has a broad clip point which is highly resistant to bending or breaking. It’s ideal for long range cutting and slashing. Additionally, the blade is equipped with a slightly concave false edge that measures approximately 3 1/2″ long.
This cold steel knife is practically indestructible and, as long as you keep this non-stainless carbon steel knife properly cleaned and oiled, it will hold up to years of abuse as it tackles tasks that would destroy most other knives.
The SK-5 high carbon (1080-equivalent) steel, this knife is made out of, is some good stuff and holds an impressive edge and is super-easy to sharpen to a razer-honed edge.
Here Are Some Of The Features Of This Cold Steel Recon Scout Knife
- The 7 1/2″ carbon steel blade comes very sharp and is very easy to sharpen even with a cheap sharpener.
- Overall knife length is 12 1/2″
- This cold steel knife is fairly light weighing only 15 oz.
- The blade is very thick making batoning wood very easy yet task such as carving cutting and field craft are still very easy.
- Very effective haker due to its heft thus far chopping down trees up to 4 to 6 inches in circumference is no problem.
- The handle on this knife is very well thought out it is a kraton handle which provides a very secure grip with excellent shock absorption.
- It comes with a kydex sheath and is very well thought out and secures very well to ones side.
- Learn more about this knife here
Do, keep in mind that it having high carbon steel as the blade material of this cold steel recon scout knife requires more upkeep in the form of moisture management and proper oiling in order to keep rust off than more corrosion-resistant steels. The protective black coating WILL wear off after prolonged or intensive use, but that’s to be expected with any similar knife.
Buy Your Cold Steel Recon Scout Knife Here
Q: Does this knife come with a sheath?
A: Yes. It comes with a kydex sheath.Q: Is this the newer version, in O-1 steel?
A: O-1 Recon Scouts were released near the end of 2014 – The ones sold onlines are now O-1, and marked O1 on the tang.Q: How much does it cost?
A: The Recon Scout retails for $199.99, but you can sometimes find it discounted a bit, if you check around. Yeah, it’s not cheap, but quality never comes cheap.
Q: How does this knife compare to other Cold Steel Knives
A: I’ve tested a lot of Cold Steel fixed blade knives, as well as folding knives over the years, and I believe that the Recon Scout is my favorite of the lot for camping, hunting, military use, and survival use.