I made these arrows using Grim Workshops Survival Arrow tool Grimworkshop.com , and whatever materials I could find at the time mostly primitive materials. The arrow shafts were about 28″ long and were cut from some scrub trees and bushes I found that had good straight new growth on them. I scraped any sharp spots or irregularity’s using the small hatchet we made in a previous video to help smooth the overall shape and straightness of the arrow shaft. I cut a small notch into one side for attaching the steel arrowhead and tied it on using paracord on some, small pieces of duct tape, and some sinew on others.
I used Pine Pitch glue to attach the arrowheads and fletching’s a little better as well. most pine trees seep sap out of any wounds or broken branches, these can be later collected and melted down as pine pitch. it’s almost the same color as the bark but sometimes you see some amber colors mixed in there too, they are sometimes hard like rocks but can be softened and melted down. after I removed some pine pitch from the tree I put it near a heat source till the pitch melted, be careful putting it directly over a fire because it is combustible and burns well. It’s better to heat it slow rather than worrying about it igniting. You can add a little bit of charcoal from the fire to the pitch to harden it as well. the more charcoal you add the harder and more brittle the pitch will be, so be aware. After I heated it and mixed the charcoal in I rolled a stick into it making an easily accessible pine pitch “match” then when I needed it I could melt it and use it like a natural glue. you can use other trees here as well I suggest learning whatever native trees you have that you can make a glue from.
After we attached the arrowheads we then found a few feathers to use from some wild turkeys and tied them on, and wound them with string to keep them attached. Careful when wrapping them to make sure the feathers vane wont puncture your hand when you fire it as an arrow.
After that I took a hot stick from the fire to burn the arrows down to a better size for firing as an arrow and make them more uniform.
I cut a notch with the saw we made in previous videos for nocking the arrows to string, make sure the string can sit inside the nock or the arrow won’t fire properly and you will misfire.
The arrows performed very well there were a couple I had to adjust and straiten a little further however they were lethal and functional.
You can find the tools I use here: